Culinary
Competition
Hi all, what is it like
giving students a task based learning experience, especially for a rural
teacher like me? I believe in language acquisition more than language learning.
So, I don’t leave an opportunity to offer my learners the experience. Recently
I conducted culinary competition for two of my secondary classes. I was spell
bound at their commitment.
Before the activity:
·
I allowed forming groups of four to six
of their choice.
·
Asked them to prepare a list of food
items that they think can prepare without using fire in school. I gave an option
of using fire at home and assemble the dish in school. (Couldn’t think of
handling fire in school)
·
I wrote a ‘recipe’ of a random dish on
the board. (Including ingredient and procedure). Instructed students to write a
recipe (in English ONLY) for the dishes they have chosen to cook. Gave them a
week’s time. Date set. Offered my help throughout the week.
·
Students were excited throughout the
week. Though excited students struggled to find English words for ‘garlic,
cardamom, clove, Bengal gram, peanuts, etc. (They knew words in Marathi). I
provided language support during the week.
During the activity:
·
The most awaited day arrived. I
requested two teachers to be referees for TASTE and two English teachers to be
referees for RECIPE.
·
Gave students forty five minutes to
prepare or assemble their dish.
·
The groups set up stalls presenting
their dish with recipe.
·
Referees, other teachers, headmaster,
supervisors enjoyed the tastes of the yummy dishes made by students. All,
including me, were amazed at the beauty of their dishes, recipe, team work and
their efforts.
·
The presentation went for 45 minutes.
- The event ended by all students tasting other groups’ dishes too.
By the end of the event all the students had smiles on their faces and referees confused as whom to choose??? I was amazed at their recipe writing as well. Most of them did perfect job in both culinary and recipe writing. With task based learning students were engaged to its fullest and I was in the background.
·






Great Mahi!
ReplyDeleteThank you Smita!
DeleteVery nice Mahesh Keep it up
ReplyDeleteGlad you appreciate it sir.
DeleteVery nice Mahesh Keep it up
ReplyDeleteYaar Mahiii great work ...
ReplyDeleteThanks dada
DeleteReally amazing ....I am arranging the same very soon
ReplyDeletevery nice! lots of opportunities to ask students to describe things afterwards as well (spoken and/or written)
ReplyDeleteThank you very much sir. Extending it for a spoken activity is a great idea. Thank you for the idea sir.
DeleteInspired by you,Maahi,I too conducted similar activity in my class. It was really wonderful experience. Thanks Maahi.
ReplyDeleteHi Bala dada, its indeed a pleasure to know that you too found it fruitful. Kids possess tremendous potential. We just need to cater them. You know dada, one of my students is a SPECIAL case. But he had prepared Capsicum vegetable and it tasted awesome. I wondered how can he be a special case. Indeed every child is unique. There were smiles throughout the event.
DeleteGreat work Sir
ReplyDeleteGreat work Sir
ReplyDelete